Originally I wanted to have my model of HMS Warspite finished in September 2013 for the 70th anniversary of the Fritz-X attacks. However, the
completion of the model was delayed because I relocated two times during this time. As
HMS Warspite had the same fitting during the Normandy
Invasion, when she was used to shell landing targets,  I took this special occasion to present my model.

My wife gave me the Academy kit as a Christmas present two years ago. About one year later the
Pontos detail set became available. After having a
look at the planning schedule for anniversaries on Modellmarine, I decided to build my
Warspite after she had been hit and crippled by German guided
bombs and limped back to the Grand Harbour in Malta.

A first look in the
Pontos set is a little scary, but soon after starting the assembly I noticed how well designed this after-market set was. For example
you can easily assemble a subcomponent like the funnel with its platforms in about an hour. As I started building the model before the model exhibition
in Wilnsdorf 2013, I was able to get some hints from my fellow modeller Frank Spahr, who already had finished his kit. But he only underlined my
opinion about the set.

Assembling the injection parts was not difficult, so I soon reached the point where I needed to paint the model. Painting British warships of WWII was
new to me. Stefan Labich, another modelling friend, lent me some colors of his
WEM range from which I made some paint samples. I then searched
in my stash of Tamiya and Gunze colors for some matching paints and tinted and mixed them to get appropriate results. Finally I decided to use H338
as 507C and a mixture of XF2 and XF50 by a ratio of 1:1 for 507B. I applied the colors corresponding to the painting guide.
As usual I used white and dark grey oil paint to generate patina on the vertical surfaces. Therefore I set small dots and washed them downwards away
with a brush dipped in white spirit. Below the hawse pipes and some fairleads I also used dark brown oil paint to simulate rust.
About the time I began the weathering, I conducted some experiments with ready to use washes from AK Interactive. These were new to my local
hobby store even though not all the products were available there. Because of that I used  NATO Camo Vehicles and OIF & OEF US Modern Vehicles
on my
Warspite. The first one is a dark brown/black and the second a rusty brown. This was followed by drybrushing corresponding to the camo
color either H338 or ModelMaster 1740.

Before gluing together all subassemblies I still had to make one step: applying the real wood deck, which was new to me. Basically I´m critical of real
wood decks due to the fact its grain and cells are wrong compared to the scale and more worse is its thickness of about 0.3 mm. BUT I didn’t wish  
to pre-judge without having used them at least once. So I applied the 3 wooden pre cut decks. Both aft ones fitted relatively well, but the forward one
was a bit too long, by about 0.1 or 0.2 mm. This small difference caused the wood not to adhere well and I had to use CA glue to fix it. Also the
openings have different sizes. The forward superstructure fits leaving a gap while I had to cut a lot away to allow a fit around the hangar. Based on
my experience, I arrived at the conclusion that this was the first and also last real wood deck I will ever use.

After that I attached the last details, such as the main deck railing. The rigging was done using UNI Caenis. I bound the anchor chains from 0.25 mm
wire as I did for the stoppers by using litz wire. As mentioned in the beginning I planned to display
HMS Warspite entering the Grand Harbor in Malta.
Therefore I already drilled a hole during the building into the hangar ceiling and also airbrushed the inside of the port hangar smoke black. I still plan to
finish my model to show her in this configuration. That´s the reason why for the D-Day anniversary no figures or water plate is attached.
Sven Schönyan
___________________________________________________________________________

(Editor's Note: The scale is actually 1:350 scale and through my error the labels on the photographs show 1:400 scale instead of 1:350 scale.)