|The displacement of the Brandenburg Class was 10,060-tons normal and 10,727-tons full load. Their length was 340-feet 10.5-inches (113.9m) (waterline)(115.7m oa), beam of 64-feet 9-inches (19.5m), and draught of 25-feet 4-inches (7.9m).
Armament was six 11-inch (28cm) With twin 11-inch/40 C/90 (28cm) guns at bow and stern and twin 11-inch/35 C/90 (28cm) in the midship turret. The German Admiralty had wanted the 12-inch (30.5cm) gun but thought the 11-inch (28cm) gun
could be hand-loaded, while the 30.5cm gun could not. As noted earlier the secondary composed eight 4.1-inch/35 and eight 3.5-inch/35 (88mm) guns. Twelve 37mm light guns were also carried. They carried three 17.7-inch torpedo tubes with one
above water tube at the bow and another two submerged beam tubes. The armor scheme jumped dramatically from the Siegfried Class. The Brandnburgs had a 15.75 to 11.8-inch belt. The armored deck varied between 3 to 2-inches. The turrets
received 9 to 5-inches of armor and the conning tower 11.8-inches of armor. Twelve boilers provided steam for the twin VTE engines that developed 10,000hp for a maximum speed of 17-knots. Two of these ships were sold to Turkey in 1910.
In the design of the next class of battleship, Kaiser Friedrich III, the starting point was the Brandenburg restrictions, which were still in place. Early on it was decided to eliminate the middle turret to include a heavier secondary battery. Originally, the
new design would carry four 11-inch (28cm) guns but this changed. Numerous designs were prepared with four 9.4-inch (24cm) guns and different mixtures of 5.9-inch (150mm), or 4-inch (105mm) guns and 3.5-inch (88mm) tertiary guns. Even the
Kaiser submitted a design, which had weight and stability issues that ruled it out. In March 1894 funds were allocated by the Reichstag for the first ship of the new design before the design had been finalized. The armament reverted to the 9.4-inch
(24cm) gun. The reason was the availability of a new model 9.4-inch/40 gun with a 2 ½ times higher rate of fire than the 11-inch/40 guns of the Brandenburg Class. The German Admiralty thought that more damage would be caused by much quicker
firing 9.4-inch/40 gun. This was the start of the German construction policy of selecting a lighter main armament than new ships of other powers based on their higher rate of fire. The policy would remain for almost 20 years. At the time, the armor
piercing abilities of the 9.4-inch and 11-inch shells were similar at the shorter anticipated battle ranges but the much higher rate of fire gave the 9.4-inch gun the advantage. Finally in August 1894 the design was finalized for a ship of 11,000-tons, armed
with four 9.4-inch/40 (24cm) and eighteen 5.9-inch/40 (15cm) secondary guns, with six in single gun turrets and the rest in casemates. Other improvements included Krupp cemented armor, watertube boilers, and machinery for three shafts. Five
Kaiser Friedrich III Class battleships were laid down between 1895 to 1898. Displacement was 11,097-tons normal and 11,785-tons full load. Dimensions were 125.3m overall, 120.9m waterline length, beam of 20.4m and draft of 8.25m. Armament
was four 9.4-inch/40 (24cm) (C97) main guns, eighteen 5.9-inch/40 C97 (15cm) secondary guns, and twelve 3.5-inch/30 (8.8cm) C/89 tertiary guns. Six 45cm submerged torpedo tubes were also carried. The different ships had a different mix of
boiler designs but the three triple expansion (VTE) reciprocating engines developed 13,000hp for a maximum speed of 17.5-knots. The class had a narrow main belt of up to 300mm, barbettes of 250mm, main gun turrets of up to 250mm, single gun
secondary turrets of up to 150mm, casemates up to 150mm, conning tower of 250mm for the forward one and 150mm for the aft one and an armored deck of 65mm.