|The German designs staff was working on a destroyer design, designated Type 37, that would be well suited for operations in the Atlantic but it would take more time to finalize. Admiral Raeder did
not want to lose construction time from the completion of the Type 36 ships waiting for the new design so an interim hybrid design was developed and designated Type 36A. Using a modified Type 36
hull but incorporating five 5.9-inch guns, as a result of the problematic test report from the Z8 trials. To save weight the destroyer was designed to carry a twin gun mount in a waterproof gun house
forward to replace the two single gun mounts of earlier designs. The eight ship class, Z23 through Z30, were laid down between November 1938 through April 1940. Production delays for the new
light-weight forward twin gun turret, caused the ships to be fitted with a temporary single gun 5.9-inch open mount with gun shield to be mounted forward in lieu of the turret. When the turrets
became available, they were fitted to the ships and the Z23 was the last to receive the twin turret in 1942. The twin turret was heavier than anticipated causing the bow to ride deeper and be very wet.
This, coupled with the fact that the gun housing was not water tight, caused electrical shorts and power failures for the twin turret. The length increased to 416-feet 8-inches oa with a beam of
39-feet 4-inches. Displacement ranged from 2,603-tons to 3,079 tons standard, 3,543-tons to 3,605-tons full load. The power plant was unchanged with six Wagner high pressure boilers and because
of heavier weights and decreased bow freeboard, maximum speed varied from 36 to 38.5-knots. Range was again slightly increased to 2,174-2,239 nm at 19-knots. Only five instead of seven 20mm
guns were carried. None of the Type 36A ships were given names. One the ships, the Z28, was further modified to allow it to be a destroyer leader, with flagship space and capabilities. The Z28 was
laid down November 30, 1939, launched August 20, 1940 and commissioned August 9, 1941 and was the flagship for Commander Destroyers. To accommodate the increased personnel as a type
flagship, superstructure was increased and only four guns carried with two forward and two aft single gun mounts, creating a unique one-off design.
The mythical Atlantic Type 37 never did materialize but with the start of the war, new destroyers were need. The next ten ships, designated Type 36A (MoB) were ordered on September 19, 1939 and
were virtual repeats of the earlier Type 36A with minor detail changes. Z31 to Z34 and Z37 to Z39 were laid down between September 1940 to January 1941 but the last thee, Z40 to Z42, were never
laid down and eventually cancelled as the fleet received lower priority for surface ship, not submarine, construction. They were built slowly because of the changed priorities and entered service
between April 1942 to August 21, 1943, when the Z39 was commissioned. The ships completed in 1942 carried a quadruple 20mm AA mount aft but by 1943 newly commissioned ships carried two
of these mounts, one forward and one aft. Other armament was the same as the Type 36A ships. The last destroyer design, designated Type 36B (MoB) was another derivative of the Type 36A but
reverted back to 5-inch guns, as the failure of the 5.9-inch gun as destroyer armament had become abundantly clear in wartime operations. Five were ordered, Z35. Z36, Z43 to Z45, were ordered
and laid down between June 1941 to September 1943 but only the first three were commissioned between September 1943 and March 1944. The last two were launched but never completed.