Corresponding literature refer to the 96 units of the last destroyer class built for the US Navy before WWII as the Benson-/Gleaves-/Livermore- and Bristol-Class. This is largely due to technical
differences and different weapons arrangement. At the end of the war all surviving destroyers had very similar weapons on board. The
Bensons were an improvement of the Sims class. For the first
time the engine compartment were arranged in boiler room – turbine room - boiler room – turbine room configuration. A torpedo hit did not automatically mean the loss of propulsion.

Technical Data:
Displacement: 2,590 ts full load
Length: 348’ 4” (106.2 m)
Beam: 36’ 1” (11 m)
Draught: 13’ 2” (4.01 m)
Power: 50.000 PS / 2 shafts
Speed: 35 knots
Range: 3880 sm at 20 knots
Crew: 17/228

The Model
My USS Buchanan is displayed recovering shipwrecked personnel. This actually happened on August 9, 1942 after a night fight near Guadalcanal. The ship is stopped and prepares to recover the
drifting shipwrecked survivors. The starboard cutter is being launched and the net is brought out. The watch below is standing by to help the survivors and watching the scene. I used the awesome
Dragon kit of the Buchanan in 1942 fit. First I didn´t really know how to display the ship, I only knew I wanted to paint the three-tone-scheme Measure 12 and not the boring blue over all of Measure
21. Therefore I searched for an occasion where
Buchanan took part in a Measure 12 scheme and I found it in the Warship Pictorial book on the Buchanan, which I bought soon after the kit.
Because of the quality of the kit, I didn’t purchase any photo-etch from
WEM or GMM. I thought the Cyber Hobby fret would be good enough, but when I wanted to purchase this it was sold out.
Later I decided to buy the Eduard PE set for Tamiya’s Fletcher to use its railings and radar. But for the SC radar atop the mainmast I finally had to purchase WEM’s US Navy WWII Radar Set.
The build went straight forward without any troubles. I painted the underwater hull in Revell 37 and the waterline in Gunze H77. For the decks I used H56. The hull sides were then airbrushed in H317. I
painted the camouflage scheme on the hull and superstructure with a brush using H54 and Model Master 1728. A layer of clear coat from Tamiya sealed the paint before weathering. I applied some filters
and washings with oil paints. The dry brushing was done with Model Master 1728. For the anti-skid areas on the deck I applied the decals of the kit. Then I assembled all of the parts and finally coated
the whole model with Model Master Dullcote. After that I attached the railings which I bent into position before gluing into place. I hung the cutter with fishing line which I also used for the rigging. The
rescue net is a piece of mesh from an old tank kit. I painted it and some of the ropes in Gunze H27.

The figures came from Goffy. I painted them with airbrush and by hand on the casting runner according to US Navy uniforms. Then the crew was arranged on the model corresponding to the scene
The commander and the bridge crew are placed on the peaks. On the admiral´s deck are some more lookouts. On the starboard side is the boatswain’s crew launching the cutter. The watch below is
placed on the bow and stern awaiting orders. On the port side some cooks have a break. The life rafts are from another kit. Carefully I bent the figures and glued them sitting inside the rafts. The water is
cut in Styrofoam. I tried to imitate smooth waves by grinding them with a Proxxon tool. I airbrushed it in a dark blue and applied acryl gel on top of it. Actually, I was not happy with how the water
turned out, so I might build a new one soon.
Sven Schönyan
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________