For several months after the Armistice of November 11, 1918 the British government kept the Grand Fleet at full strength. They were still uncertain times and it was thought that the war could flare up again. By mid 1919 it was clear that there was peace
and the threat of the German High Seas Fleet was no more. Britain no longer needed the Grand Fleet and so it was dissolved. The political leaders said that Britain no longer needed the hundreds of ships that made up the greatest fleet that Great Britain ever
possessed. They cost too much money to man and maintain and besides the Great Threat had been defeated and they too, were no longer needed. In that year and the few that followed, rapid naval disarmament was the order of the day issued by the
politicians to their Lordships of the Admiralty.                                

In this period Britain disposed of 83 cruisers. Almost every cruiser of pre-war construction was removed, sold or scrapped. It was a fire sale to end all fire sales. The remainder of the RN cruiser force that survived this gutting, amounted to 49 ships and
nine of those were still on the stocks with work on them slowed to a glacial pace. Admiral Jellicoe had calculated that the Royal Navy needed a minimum force of 70 cruisers to adequately defend the far-flung trade lanes and possessions of the British
Empire. Now the RN had only 72% of that minimum requirement. Through the 1920s and early 1930s the Admiralty hung on to the 70-ship minimum and unsuccessfully tried to lobby the politicians to increase the quantity of RN cruisers. However, the
political and popular criticism of increased naval budgets and the shaky financial condition of the Exchequer precluded any meaningful attempt to bridge the gap.

A new naval building race erupted between Japan and the United States and though it was in terms of capital ships, it effected the views on the cruisers that the RN still possessed. The wartime cruiser construction of the RN concentrated on cruisers with
speed and gunpower but of short range. They were designed for combat in the North Sea not for cruising the huge distances of the British trade routes. Only the four
Elizabethans, the four 9,750 ton cruisers named after Queen Elizabeth’s great sea
captains had the range and size for sustained operations in the deep ocean. Only four of 49 were truly capable of the new mission that was mandated with the peace. When it was realized that the ambitious USN construction program had only triggered a
new arms race, all the major naval powers were invited to Washington to enter a Treaty that would limit naval construction. Britain jumped at this because she was in no financial position for a new arms race and although Japan was less eager, that
country was near bankruptcy because of the tremendous tempo of new construction. Before the conference, a brief was prepared by the Admiralty for the British negotiators. In cruisers it emphasized that parity between the USN and RN was
unacceptable. As a minimum the RN needed a 3 to 2 quantitative superiority. As a back up position, if parity in numbers had be granted, cruiser size limitations were to be limited to a maximum of 10,000 tons. This size limitation was based solely on the
RN’s desire to retain the four
Elizabethans, which were just under this limit. This provision, generated solely on a short-term outlook, would come back to plague the Royal Navy throughout the 1920s and 1930s. The 10,000 limitation was also exactly
what the USN desired, as that was the size of cruiser designs that were being explored for new construction. One additional provision was inserted that mandated a maximum gun size of 8-inches, slightly more than the 7.5-inch armament carried by the
Elizabethans. The terms on cruiser construction were quickly agreed upon and it was only later in the decade that their full implications to the RN came home to roost.
The result was almost instantaneous, the maximum also became the minimum and every naval power started building 10,000 ton cruisers armed with 8-inch guns. Although there was no quantitative limitation in the treaty to cruiser construction, there
was a de facto monetary limitation. The British government did not have the funds to build to the 70-ship level and every pound spent on RN cruisers went into the big, expensive
County Class heavy cruisers. By 1925 it was clear to the Admiralty that
British interests would be far better served by more numerous, smaller cruisers. With more and more budget cuts the RN had to do something to get more cruiser construction. The first solution was the
Type B heavy cruiser. The big County Class
cruisers were designated as
Type A cruisers and two smaller cruisers, mounting six 8-inch guns was designed and became York and Exeter, sometimes called the Cathedral Class because of the two major cathedrals located in those cities. Coming in at
8,230 tons, they were cheaper and lighter than the 10,000-ton cruisers. However, that still was not the answer. The RN needed lighter and more numerous cruisers than the quantity that could be afforded by the
Type B cruiser.

Concurrently with the
Type B design and construction, the RN looked into the ideal 6-inch gun light cruiser that could give the service the numbers she needed for trade route protection. However, heavy cruiser construction still absorbed the entire
cruiser budget. In 1927 at Geneva there was a new conference in which a new individual ship size limitation on cruisers was suggested by the British delegates. The new limit would be 7,500 tons, armed with guns no greater than 6-inches. Although the
Japanese seemed agreeable, the Americans adamantly refused the new size limitations and the conference broke up with no agreement. In 1928 the need for a modern RN light cruiser was again discussed. Still the heavy cruiser dominated discussions and
one early proposal was for a Convoy Cruiser of 7,500 tons, six 8-inch guns and a maximum speed of 21-knots. That idea was quickly shot down. Another proposal was for cruisers of around 5,000-tons armed with four 8-inch guns but that also was
killed because of the lack of firepower and limited ability to operate with the fleet. However, the ideal characteristics for a new light cruiser were identified in a 6-Inch Gun Cruiser Conference in January 1929. Initial debate revolved around the gun size,
should it be 6-inch or 5.5-inch? The 6-inch gun won and five sketches were prepared. The designs varied from five 6-inch singles in open mounts at 5,995 tons to eight 6-inch guns in twin mounts at 6,410 tons. The later design was selected as the basis
for new construction. This design, approved on June 3, 1929, became the
Leander Class light cruiser. However, this was only the starting point as the design was continuously modified with the resulting upward creep in displacement. By June 1931
displacement had zoomed upwards by over 700-tons to 7,154-tons.         
It was the Mk XXIII 6-inch gun that was carried, which used a 112lb (50.8kg) shell with a maximum range of 25,480 yards (23,300m). Original plans called for two directors but in a typical “penny wise and pound foolish” move the government decided to
save a few bob by deleting the aft controller. As a result only one target could be engaged at a time and fire aft would be greatly hampered without a director. The secondary armament was a sparse four 4-inch Mk V DP guns. One high angle director on the
bridge provided for AA fire for these secondary guns, as well as for the three quadruple Vickers .50 machine gun light AA mounts. Armament was rounded out with two quadruple 21-inch torpedo mounts. Armor was designed to withstand 6-inch gun fire
above 10,000 yards to critical areas with a three-inch belt to machinery spaces, 3.5-inch side and 2-inch crown armor to magazines, 1-inch armored deck and 1-inch turret crown protection. The layout for the machinery spaces provided three boiler rooms
with a total of six Admiralty three drum boilers and two turbine rooms housing the four Parsons geared turbines. The plant provided 72,000shp for the four shafts, providing a maximum speed of 32.5-knots. Another limitation in the design was a limited
range. The class carried a maximum 1,720-tons of fuel oil and had a cruising range of 5,730nm at 13-knots.                 

The
Leander proved to be a handsome ship with one massive trunked funnel. It was obvious that cruisers operating individually on the trade routes would need their own aerial reconnaissance assets, so a large 53-foot catapult was worked into the design.
This catapult design was chosen as the minimum size necessary to carry the newly designed Fairey 111F three seat reconnaissance aircraft. Initial plans called for one Fairey 111F and one lighter Hawker Osprey but the Fairey proved too heavy for the light
cruiser design and only the Osprey was shipped. Hangars were ruled out because of space limitations. The
Leander became part of the 1929 program. Three more, Achilles, Neptune and Orion were part of the 1930 program and Ajax was part of the 1931
program. The last four were redesigned to add one more foot to the beam for stability. Although the RN finally had the cruiser that was best suited for their needs, the country was in the depths of the depression and the required numbers could not be
built.                        

The London Treaty of 1930 went further in restricting cruisers than the Washington Treaty. The Washington Treaty only put a maximum on displacement and gun size with no restrictions on the number of cruisers that could be built. The London Treaty
imposed an overall cruiser tonnage restriction. The RN could have a maximum total tonnage of cruisers of 339,000 tons by December 31, 1936. It further broke the cruisers into two categories based on weapons. Cruisers with a main armament of 6.1-inch
or smaller (light cruisers) and cruisers of 6.11 to 8-inch (heavy cruisers). The allowable tonnages of each country varied between the two. Under the London Treaty the limits by navy were: Heavy Cruisers; USN, – 180,000 tons: UK & Commonwealth –
146,000 tons; Japan – 108,400 tons: Light cruisers; USN – 143,500 tons; RN & Commonwealth – 192,200 tons; Japan – 100,450 tons. That left 91,000 of new cruiser tonnage for the RN to add in the light category. The RN pressed on with the 7,000 ton
cruiser, in spite of the fact that both Japan and the USN had decided to build 10,000 ton light cruisers. Again, the RN wanted numbers, rather ships of the maximum possible displacement. It was anticipated that the RN would expend all 91,000 tons in the
construction of 13
Leanders. However, those plans changed with the development of the even lighter, Arethusa fleet cruiser design.
The Admiralty held a Cruiser Conference in 1929 and the subject of an intermediate cruiser design was a big topic. What was desired was a cruiser smaller than the Leander, ranging in the 4,000-5,000-ton displacement range. However, the design would
still have to have the ability to function with the fleet and on trade protection missions. Resulting from this desire, different designs were drawn, some with 6-inch guns and some with 5.5-inch guns. Some with single gun mounts and some with twin gun
mounts. Economy was critical because more of the smaller cruisers could be built for the same amount of fewer
Leanders. The displacement and costs of the Leanders had crept upwards significantly during their design and construction.  Further, it was
difficult for the Admiralty to squeeze a Pound from the Labour government and the intermediate cruiser would certainly cost less. Another factor was the desire of some Admirals to have a small cruiser that could function as a destroyer leader. Not only
would it have to have the speed of a destroyer but also it had to have the same acceleration capability of destroyers. A typical cruiser were much slower in accelerating compared to a destroyer.

Since the design had to serve as a trade cruiser as well as a fleet cruiser and destroyer leader, range was an important consideration in the trade protection mission. In this area there was not enough displacement available to give the design a true range of a
trade cruiser. As it was, the range was limited to 5,300 nm at 13-knots. In the
Bismarck hunt the Galatea had to break off before her accompanying cruisers in order to refuel. Originally, the Admiralty was going to build at least eight in the class, Arethusa
in the 1931 program,
Galatea in the 1932 program, three ships in the 1933 program and three ships in the 1934 program. However, events intervened. Japan announced a new light cruiser design with fifteen 6.1-inch guns on an alleged displacement of
8,500-tons. This would become the
Mogami Class and of course Japan had grossly misstated the displacement by over 50%. The Admiralty properly doubted the stated characteristics but the press and public berated the current British designs of the
improved
Leander and Arethusa. As a response two of the ships of the 1934 program were eliminated and only Penelope was built and two of three ships in the 1935 program were eliminated and only the Aurora was built. Instead of more Arethusas, the
Southampton or Town Class was developed and built.

The
Arethusa Class displaced between 5,220 to 5,270-tons standard and 6,665 to 6,715-tons full load. Length was 506-feet (154.22m) overall and 480-feet (146.3m) between perpendicular bulkheads. Beam was 51-feet (15.54m) and draught 16-feet
6-inches (5.03m) mean depth. For
Arethusa and Galatea the original armament was six 6-inch Mk XXIII guns mounted in three twin turrets, four single 4-inch Mk V guns, two quadruple 0.5-inch Vickers machine gun mounts, and six 21-inch torpedoes
mounted in two triple mounts. When it came to building
Penelope and Aurora, twin 4-inch guns were used instead of single mounts. The class, except for Aurora,  also carried a catapult and one aircraft, a Hawker Osprey, although the Admiralty tried
every which way to have two planes. There was no hangar facility. The power plant consisted of four Admiralty 3-drum boilers providing steam for four Parsons geared turbines, providing 64,000shp with a maximum speed of 32.25-knots. As mentioned,
range was 5,300 nm at 13-knots. The armor scheme had 2.25-inch belt protecting machinery spaces, 3-inch magazine sides, 2-inches magazine crowns and a 1-inch deck.
HMS Galatea was laid down at the Scott Dockyard on June 2, 1933, launched on August 9, 1934 and completed on August 14, 1935. She was sent to the 3rd Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean where she remained until World War Two started. In
November 1937 the Hawker Osprey was replaced by a Seafox. On completion the
HMS Galatea became the flagship for the Rear Admiral Destroyers (RAD) Cunningham. He was very enthusiastic about the Galatea’s speed and acceleration. It was as
fast as the destroyers and almost as maneuverable. One thing he did not like was the roof over the compass platform that had been fitted as an experiment, as it tended to suck funnel fumes into the position. The roof was quickly removed in May 1937 on
his verbal order. Being RAD certainly had its perks.

Galatea saw action even before World War Two. She was on Neutrality Patrol off the Spanish coast during the Spanish Civil War. The Italians and Germans were helping Franco’s Nationalist Spain. At 11:30 PM August 31, 1937 the Italian submarine RM
Iride
sighted the British destroyer HMS Havock but mistook her as the Republican Spanish destroyer, Sanchez Barcaiztegui even though the range was only 700m. The submarines fired a torpedo at Havock but it missed. Havock turned to attack and
started hunting the submarine. On September 1, 1937 four more destroyers and
HMS Galatea, the flagship for Rear Admiral Somerville, who was Rear Admiral of Destroyers of the Mediterranean Fleet. Somerville kept hunting the Iride until the Admiralty
ordered him to cease. After this incident and the sinking of the British freighter
Woodford by another Italian submarine. Somerville took the Galatea into the post of Palma, Spain for a come to Jesus moment with the Italian Admiral commanding the Italian
naval forces in Spain. Apparently the Italian commander heeded Somerville’s words of wisdom because the Italian attacks on British ships ceased. Before the start of World War Two the
Galatea had her single 4-inch guns replaced by twin 4-inch gun
mounts.

HMS Galatea was almost continuously in action during World War Two. At the start of the war she was recalled to home waters and from February to March 1940 operated against axis merchant ships trying to flee Spanish ports. While at Scapa Flow
on March 16, 1940
Galatea fired nine 4-inch shells at extreme range against German bombers attacking the anchorage.
Galatea took part in the fiasco in Norway. As the German Army expanded control over the Norwegian countryside, Galatea, along with Arethusa, Carlisle and Curacoa took 1,000 soldiers of the 148th Infantry Brigade to Andalsnes and Molde over April
17 - 18, 1940.On April 19
Galatea was with Arethusa, Renown, Valiant and four destroyers and left Scapa Flow to bombard Trondheim. Galatea with sister Arethusa, a French cruiser and two French destroyers were dispatched to destroy any German
shipping in the Bergen and Stavanger area. At 0755 a single German bomber appeared. There was some long range gunfire by
Galatea but neither side was damaged. On April 23 Galatea, Arethusa, Glasgow and Sheffield took part of the 15th Infantry
Brigade at Andalsnes. On April 24
Galatea was attacked by a bomber and although the bomb fell close, the ship was not damaged.

In a week the military situation in central Norway was in the dumper and  
Galatea, along with Arethusa, Sheffield and Southampton were sent to evacuate British troops from Aandalsnes.  At 01:00 on May 1 the force departed carrying 1,200 troops. It
came under air attack at 03:35 but there was no damage.  With the Blitzkreig in the West
Galatea moved south. She was dispatched to Ymuiden, Netherlands to pick up refugees and evacuate the Dutch gold reserves to England. As the tide of the panzers
moved into France, the
Galatea and Arethusa bombarded German troops near Calais between May 26 to 28. With the fall of France, the German Navy could now base their submarines and heavy surface forces in French ports and the Germans were
going to make use of them. While entering Sheerness on September 1
Galatea detonated a magnetic mine 40 yards off the port bow, causing minor damage requiring one week of repairs. Galatea was certainly in need of repairs and she underwent a refit
from 18 October 1940 to 8 January 1941. During this refit her catapult was landed and she received two quadruple pom-poms, eight single 20mm Oerlikons, as the first cruiser to receive the Oerlikon, and Type 279 radar.

Galatea had just finished her refit when Scharnhorst and Gneisenau  left Kiel on January 22, 1941 to raid the British convoys in the Atlantic. The Admiralty knew they were out and formed interception groups. Galatea was part of a group that included
Arethusa, Nelson, Repulse, Naiad, Phoebe and nine destroyers to operate south of Iceland. At 06:40 Naiad sighted smoke to the south. The smoke was from the German battleships and they were just outside the range of Naiad’s radar. Weather was
poor with frequent snow squalls. The German ships changed course and
Naiad lost contact. When Bismarck and Prinz Eugen made their sortie, Galatea was one of the cruisers at Scapa Flow. Galatea’s part in the Bismarck hunt was as an escort to
HMS Victorious. However, at 0026 on May 26 both Galatea and sister Aurora had to be detached from Victorious to refuel At Hvalfiord, Iceland.
In July 1941the Galatea was reassigned to the Med. Galatea found a home in the Mediterranean where she was a member of the Fighting Fifteenth, the 15th Cruiser Squadron consisting of Galatea, Naiad (flagship of Rear Admiral Philip Vian as of
November 1, 1941),
Dido and Euryalus. On August 27, 1941 Galatea was with Naiad and Phoebe in Operation Treacle moving a Polish Brigade to Tobruk from Alexandria. At 2145 40 miles northwest of Tobruk radar contact was made. An aerial torpedo
attack was made and
Phoebe took the hit. Galatea and Naiad stood by to assist but fortunately Phoebe regained power and made it safely back to Alexandria. On October 20, 1941 Galatea, Ajax, Hobart and two destroyers bombarded axis posiitons west
of Bardia.

To support the British Operation Crusader in North Africa, Vice Admiral Henry Prideham-Whipple on
Barham, took the Queen Elizabeth, Valiant, Galatea, Naiad, Euryalus and two destroyer flotillas in Operation ME4 to bombard axis positions along the
African coast from November 17 to 19, 1941. Another bombardment mission of Bardia by the same force was undertaken between November 21 and 22. Aircraft were used for spotting the fall of shot. On December 6
Galatea, Carlisle and HMAS Hobart
relieved Malta’s Force K in the escort of storeship
Breconshire into Alexandria. On December 8 the 15th minus Dido and the 14th Destroyer Flotilla sortied to Derna and returned on the 11th. On December 13 the 15th Cruiser Squadron sortied in Operation
ME9 t o intercept the Italian convoy M41 but missed it because the Italians recalled the convoy after believing that the British battleships were at sea and heading towards them. In fact they were in port and the Italians had fallen to false radio transmissions
sent by
HMS Abdiel. In the voyage home the Italian submarine Dagabur made a torpedo attack against Galatea but missed. However, Galatea was not as lucky when a German U-Boat found her. Around midnight on December 14 the U-557 attacked
Galatea 30 miles off Alexandria. Galatea sank in three minutes, capsizing and taking more than half the crew with her. Destroyers Hotspur and Griffin rescued 144 men but 470 of the crew were lost. Galatea had considered herself in safe waters so close
to Alexandria and had relaxed her watertight security status, which significantly contributed to her rapid sinking.

Galatea’s Camouflage Schemes: If you like the rainbow of WW2 British camouflage schemes, I highly recommend British and Commonwealth Warship Camouflage of WWII, Volume 3 Cruisers, Minelayers and Armed Merchant Cruisers, Naval
Institute Press 2016 by Malcolm Wright. Color Profiles are present for every ship. There are three for the
Galatea. As commissioned she wore overall 507C with natural wood decks and 507B or 507A metal decks. In 1939 and painted overall 507A. Natural
wood decks and 507B metal decks. In July 1941she received Mountbatten pink overall with unknown deck colors. In December 1941, right before her loss,
Galatea received an unofficial disruptive pattern of 507A and 507C. The pattern was different on
each side. Decks were natural wood planking and 507B for metal decks.
(Bulk of history is from: British and Commonwealth Warship Camouflage of WWII, Volume 3 Cruisers, Minelayers and Armed Merchant Cruisers, Naval Institute Press 2016 by Malcolm Wright; British Cruiser Warfare, Seaforth Publishing 2019,
by Alan Raven;
British Cruisers of World War Two, Arms and Armour Press 1980, by Alan Raven and John Roberts: British Cruisers Two World Wars and After, Seaforth Publishing 2010, by Norman Friedman; Cruisers in Action 1939-1945,
William Kimber, London 1981 by Peter C. Smith and John R. Dominy;
Cruisers of World War Two, Brockhampton Press 1999, by M. J. Whitley;  The King’s Cruisers, Hodder and Stoughton, London 1947, by Gordon Holman; The Naval War in the
Mediterranean 1940-1943
, Chatham Publishing, London 1998 by Jack Greene and Alessandro Massignani; Six Victories, Naval Institute Press, 2019, by Vincent P. O’Hara; Struggle for the Middle Sea, Naval Institute Press 2009, by Vincent P. O’Hara)

The Flyhawk HMS Galatea 1938 - Flyhawk has certainly concentrated on the ships of the Arethusa Class. There first model was that of HMS Aurora, the last of the class, in her 1945 fit. This ship was probably chosen because she became the cruiser
Chung King with Nationalist China and renamed Tchoung King after the crew mutinied and went over to communist China. Other renames with the PLAN were Hsuang Ho, Pei Ching and Kuang Chou. Flyhawk released a model of the Chinese version
as the second
Arethusa Class release. Both of these kits seem to be unavailable at the moment. The third release was HMS Penelope in he 1940 fit. The HMS Galatea is the fourth release and is the most unique. Only 800 kits of HMS Galatea are being
produced for world wide distribution. The model reflects the cruiser shortly after her commissioning around 1938, Since she is depicted in Neutrality Patrol paint scheme it is prewar, yet carries the catapult with Seafox floatplane, which did not reach the
fleet until November 1937. The kit is also suitable for a prewar
Arethusa but not the Penelope or Aurora. The kit is truly multimedia with plastic, resin, brass photo-etch, turned brass parts and a wooden stand. A separate wooden deck is also available. It
comes with a separate lower hull so can be built in waterline or full hull formats.
I personally consider Flyhawk as the best producer of plastic ship models in the world. Their Galatea certainly lives up to their standard. It may use most of the parts from previous releases of Arethusa Class cruisers but their detail was already at the
world class standard. The upper hull is one piece with separate decks and lower hull. The hull side detail is plentiful and delicate. The bow knuckle is crisply done. Since the
Arethusa Class was lightly armored, the armor belt lines on the hull are a trifle
thick but this is a very minor point. I personally would not reduce the thickness. The hull port holes are very fine with rigolles/eyebrow detail. Horizontal plating lines are present. Deck edge open chocks and twin bollard fittings are molded at the top of the
hull and as the other details, are very crisp.
Flyhawk could have done better with the bollards because they are posts instead of the correct hourglass shape. Anchor hawse fittings are well done and have depth into the interior. Hull climbing rungs are also
molded onto the hull. For the full hull crowd, the lower hull has molded on bilge keels and locater holes of the propeller shafts, struts and rudder. If you are building the waterline version, there is a separate baseplate and metal weight.

There are separate forecastle and main/quarterdecks. The detail on both sparkles. The forecastle has anti-skid hatch pattern and wooden decks have fine seam and butt end detail. On the metal part of the forecastle the deck hawse have nice collars and are
indented into the hull. The anchor chain is molded on top of the flat chain run plates. Other fittings are numerous mushroom ventilators, windlass base, large twin bollards, windlass plates, chain locker fittings and locater holes for two separate windlasses.
When it comes to the wooden portion of the forecastle, the deck access coamings have hinge and dog details and molded on cable reel fittings. The main deck continues with these detail but also has boat chock detail. There are locater holes for the quad
Vickers platform posts and torpedo tubes. Locater squares and rectangles are present for various fittings like boat davits and galley stack. Raised lines are for proper attachment of the numerous superstructure parts. The edge of the decks are smooth for
easy attachment of deck railing.
There are six large separate plastic parts. One is the shelter deck level with B barbette, the bridge, the midship shelter deck level and the three 6-inch gun turrets. As with the hull and decks, the detail is delicious. The forward shelter deck has open square
windows with hinge and shutter detail as well as porthole with eyebrows. Door detail has hinge and dog detail. B barbette has numerous ventilator fittings along the front face and the deck has ammunition lockers, mushroom ventilators and cable reels. The
midship shelter deck level continues with the same exquisite detail, as does the two storey bridge piece. The turret detail is outstanding with rivet detail on the sides and crown, crown hatches, gun openings, front face fittings and rear face doors.

Smaller parts are on plastic sprues. Sprue A has the torpedo tubes with intricate detail, and boat davits of two types. Sprue E has separate lockers, galley stack, Vickers platforms, curved deck access covers, hull side chute, and aft funnel pipe. Spue F has
an optional solid catapult but use the separate brass catapult. Also on this sprue is the rear face for the forward shelter deck, open deck behind the bridge structure, large rectangular midship ventilator, rear face for the bridge, Navigation deck, base for the
aft stack (not used on
Galatea as a separate resin part of a different shape is used), HA director, and binnacle. Sprue G has the masts, which are optional with the choice between plastic masts or turned brass masts. Other parts are option yards and mast  
platforms. H sprue has two of the larger boats, rear bulkhead of the forecastle deck, and lockers. Sprue K has both stacks, which have detailed aprons, side rivet detail and excellent interior steam pipe detail. Q sprue is mostly lower hull fittings with the
propeller shafts, propellers and rudder. There are also a few superstructure and fittings detail with a launch with separate canvas covering, and gun directors, which are replaced with resin parts. It appears that most of R sprue contains parts for other ships
in the class. I could only find the two deck houses/platforms between the 4-inch guns on each side as being used. V sprue has what appears to be booms and pipes but the only part I could find that is used in the instructions is a port side galley stack.
Sprue W has solid breakwaters, crane and anchors. Use the brass crane arm instead of the optional solid one on this sprue. You will use the crane base and machinery on this sprue. I prefer the optional brass  breakwater over the plastic one. Sprue GB01
has the quadruple pom-poms and Vickers mounts. These have fine detail and I will certainly use these rather than replace them with photo-etch weapons. The sprue also has the pom-pom platforms. GB02 has the search lights and signal lamps. Two GB03
sprues have the paravanes. Sprues GB04, GB16 and GB17 have an assortment of small fittings. Sprue GB19 has carley rafts in three sizes, all of which have nice detail. GB24 finishes up the ship’s boats with eight of them in different designs. GB25 has
four turret bases and eight 6-inch guns (optional). This may be a hint of a future
Leander Class from Flyhawk. GB32 has a single 9 piece Seafox. It can be assembled with stored or extended wings. Photo-etch parts are used for struts and other parts. The
two Z sprues have the 4-inch guns and separate mounts.
Quite a few resin parts are included in the kit. These parts a specifically for Galatea and are used instead of plastic parts. RE01 has the midship shelter deck structure with catapult base. RE02 has the shelter deck level with the 4-inch gun positions. These
resin positions have wooden deck panel lines but not butt ends and the cast on fittings are not as crisp as those found on plastic decks. RE03 is the aft stack base. RE05 and RE06 are gun directors. RE08 is a large aft ventilator. RE09 has steam pipes.
RE10 has a deck house situated aft of the bridge. RE11 and RE12 has raised platforms. RE14 are lockers. RE15 has another pipe.

The
Flyhawk Galatea comes with one fairly large brass photo-etch fret. The fret has many optional parts that can be used in place of plastic parts. I think some of these are absolute musts because they present a much better appearance than the plastic
parts. Chief among them is the aircraft crane arm. With relief-etching, you will have to fold this beautiful piece but its appearance will be far superior than the solid plastic arm. Additionally, you get all of the pulleys, braces and crane hook on the fret.
Another must use is the catapult. It comes with the main catapult structure, both end extensions and aircraft cradle. A couple of the platforms have open grid decks to go with their relief-etching. In fact, almost half of the parts on this fret are relief-etched.
Davits have the outside beams raised above the interior panels. The breakwater has relief braces to go  with the folding gusset structure. Several bridge bulkheads has several beautiful parts on the fret to replace the plastic bulkheads. These brass parts
reflect a different porthole and door placement than the plastic bulkheads, so to be truly accurate with
Galatea, go with the brass parts. There are relief-etched heat shields to be placed on sides of the forward funnel that protect the crews on the searchlight
platforms on each side of the stack. This platform is also on the fret and has fold up railing. The accommodation ladders are relief-etched with open grid landings, fold up safety railings and trainable treads. Other parts on the fret are the navigational deck
forward face, stack grates/clinker screens, cable reels support gussets, streaming anchors, radar, bridge baffles, optional Seafox propeller, HF/DF, flag and jack staffs, lattice towers, support posts, siren platforms, exterior steam pipes, custom fitted
railing, inclined ladders with weight saving voids on the bottom brace, safety railing and trainable treads, Seafox struts, and optional relief-etched anchor chain. Turned bass parts are included as optional parts to replace plastic parts included and the 6-inch
gun barrels, 4-inch gun barrels and masts. They are very well done but so are the plastic parts. I’m partial to using the plastic masts as they have a lot of detail while the brass options are just brass rods that require additional detaining.
A decal sheet, which originally appeared for the Flyhawk Penelope is included. There are four white ensigns, two large with one straight and one streaming and two smaller ensigns with the same configurations. Also included are roundels and tail flashes
for the Seafox.

I found the instructions somewhat confusing. This is because there are a lot of moving parts and rather small assembly modules.
Flyhawk numbers the parts with an alpha-numeric code that refers to the sprue number of the plastic part, pe number for
photo-etched parts or re number for resin parts. Print quality is excellent. The instructions are on a big foldout that is printed on one side. They start with a parts laydown and icon explanation. Step one shows the basic assembly of the hull and deck with
insets for aft bridge face, midship shelter deck and propulsion  fittings attachment. Step two covers initial forward superstructure assembly with insets on turret assembly, cable reels, breakwater, flag staffs, and forecastle detailing. Step three has bridge
assembly, boat davits, stack grates,  and catapult. Step four has boat attachment, and crane assembly. Step five has the stack, foremast and midship assembly. Step six has quarterdeck assembly with insets on the main mast, 4-inch guns, and deck fittings.
Step seven is on railing placement. Next is a painting guide with the colors listed for Mr. Hobby, Tamiya, WEM Colourcoats and two Chinese brands. Both starboard and port profiles are shown as well as the plan. Finally, there is an eight step assembly of
the Seafox, followed by a color plan and profile. Not included in the kit but available is a wooden deck set for
Galatea, produced by Flyhawk. This sheet has four parts, which include the wooden portion of the forecastle, forward shelter deck, main
deck/quarterdeck and aft shelter deck. Obviously done specifically for
Galatea the deck is very well done with openings for deck fittings pre-punched.
The Flyhawk 1:700 scale HMS Galatea will probably one of the most difficult Flyhawk kits to find in the future, since only 800 of these kits will be produced for world-wide distribution. The high quality of the parts and the future rarity of the kit make
the model a must purchase for any devotee of Royal Navy cruisers.

Steve Backer
Huntsville, Alabama
_________________________