Hasegawa’s Yukikaze 1940 kit is the basic model for this diorama. I wanted to display the ship in a battle. In my WWII atlas I found a battle which was fought in the night of 11/30/1942 in which the Kagero, lead ship of the
Yukikaze class, participated.

The Model - Because of the high quality of the kit it was easy to build. I took photo-etch from Eduard which fit very well and are easy to use. I felt very pleased with the handrails around the turrets and torpedo launchers.
To display the model more dynamic I choose a point of time where the enemy was detected and the battle line started to turn to port. I arranged the turrets and torpedo launchers to port ahead. The rangefinders atop of the bridge
and the aft superstructure are shown in the same direction as does the searchlight for illuminating the scene. Because the crew is at battle stations you can only find personal on the bridge, the searchlight and the aft rangefinder. The
AA guns are manned, too, but without aiming to a certain target. At the time of my scene there was no threat from the air but the Flak was partially also used in surface engagements. Normally during the night the main deck is
closed and because of no submarine threat in this battle there are no crewmembers at the depth charges. After gluing the photo-etch railing into position I noticed it would stand in the way if a torpedo would be fired. To make more
accurate I removed the railing around the launchers. Normally the high vents on the fore and aft deck would be laid down to allow the turrets free movement while firing. I noticed this too late and the vents were already glued.
I airbrushed the ship with Gunze H83 overall. After applying a washing I did a dry brushing with Revell 47. The linoleum is done in Tamiya XF79. Parts of the lower hull got a coat of XF9. I painted the blast bags in a gray a little
lighter than H83. The torpedoes were painted silver with a red warhead. I brushed the canvas of the boats in white. Later I dry brushed them several times with a sand color to make it look more used. I used Tamiya figures for
the crew which look like photo-etch but are thicker. They are not the most convincing but at this time there were no Fujimi or Pit Road figures available. Most of the crew was painted white with skin color for face and hands and
black shoes. Officers got a dark blue coat. The rigging and flag lines were done using stretched sprue which took me two evenings of work. It´s not really symmetrical but I´m happy with the results. I wrapped some thread
around the hose reels. Next to the aft funnel there is some bamboo material in case of a leak for which I took hairs from a brush.

The Diorama - The base is 20mm Styrofoam which was cut to the size of the Trumpeter display case. I marked the position of the model and cut out the foam adjusting it to the hull shape. For simulating the water I bought from
a scale railroad shop a foil with wave texture. The backside of the foil was airbrushed with H54 after cutting the same cut out like in the Styrofoam. The foil was attached to the foam with double faced adhesive tape. After gluing
the model into position I filled the gap between water and model with some water effect also from the scale railroad supplies. By using the water effect I applied the bow wave and wake with highlighting it with white dry brush.
The last step was wrapping the sides of the foam with gray card and printing a small label.
Sven Schönyan
Deutschland

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________