|USS Sampson DD-63 was laid down on April 21, 1915 at the Fore River Shipbuilding Company of Quincy Massachusetts, launched on March 4, 1916 and commissioned on June 27, 1916. Her length was 315-feet 3-inches (96.09 m), with a beam
of 30-feet 7-inches (9.32 m) and draft of 10-feet 9-inches (3.28 m). Her displacement was 1,111-tons (normal) and full load of 1,225-tons. Armament was four 4-inch/50 (100mm), two 1-pdr (37mm) antiaircraft guns with four triple 21-inch
(533mm) torpedo tube mounts. The power plant had four boilers which fed steam to two Curtis turbine engines and developed 17,696 horsepower. This gave the Sampson a maximum speed of 29.5-knots. She was named after Admiral William T.
Sampson (1840–1902) who commanded the Atlantic Fleet in the Spanish-American War. Complement was 99 officers and crewmen.
After commissioning and shakedown in Narragansett Bay, the Sampson was assigned to Division 9 of the Atlantic Destroyer Force. Her first duty in 1917 was to participate in war games off Provincetown, Massachusetts on the tip of Cape Cod.
When war was declared on Germany the Sampson left Tompkinsville, New York on May 15, 1917 to join the escort of a convoy which first stopped at Halifax, Nova Scotia before continuing to Queenstown, Ireland, which was reached on May 25,
1917. After arrival she was based in Queenstown with the mission of convoy escort in the approached to Great Britain. At this time two depth charge racks of British design were added to her stern. On June 18, 1917 Sampson rescued survivors
from the merchantman, SS English Monarch and SS Elele. The survivors were landed in Queenstown on June 20. She performed escort duty for the rest of the war and during this time answered other distress calls and attacked U-Boats reported
near the convoys. After the Armistice the Sampson, along with the other Queenstown destroyers steamed to Brest, France on November 29, 1918. On December 12 Sampson and other destroyers joined the SS George Washington, which was
carrying President Woodrow Wilson, to escort the liner into Brest. After this mission Sampson returned to Queenstown briefly before returning to New York on December 26. She arrived at the New York Navy Yard on January 7, 1919. After repair
work Sampson was assigned to the 4th Division, 2nd Flotilla, Atlantic Destroyer Force. On March 22, 1919 she left the New York Navy Yard to assume her new duties based at the Naval Torpedo Station in Newport, Rhode Island. Her first duties
there as to work for the Inspector of Ordnance in testing experimental torpedoes and mines. This duty was interrupted in May with the mission to provide picket duty for the Navy’s attempt to cross the Atlantic with a flight of NC-4 flying boats. On
December 1, 1919 the Sampson returned to the New York Naval Yard for an overhaul, which was completed on February 14, 1921. Many of the 1,000-tonners saw duty for some time between the wars but Sampson was not one of them. In spite
of the fact that Sampson had just finished an overhaul, Sampson was decommissioned on June 15, 1921 and placed in reserve. She stayed there until January 7, 1936 when she was stricken from the Navy List. With new destroyers rapidly coming
on line and hundreds of newer fluchdeckers still available, the Navy saw no need to keep a 1,000-tonner. USS Sampson DD-63 was towed to the Philadelphia Navy Yard and on July 17, 1936 was ordered to be scrapped to meet the requirements on
the London Naval Treaty. On September 8, 1936 Sampson was sold to the Boston Iron and Metal Company of Baltimore, Maryland for scrap for the price of $18,750.