|The Austin 10HP Light Utility truck was a British wartime improvisation. The Austin 10 was originally a 4-door, 4-cylinder saloon car first introduced in 1932 and it was the company’s best-selling vehicle
that decade. When war broke out in 1939, the need for trucks for military purposes led to the conversion of the saloon car into a Light Utility Pick-Up Trucks which could be produced quickly and
relatively inexpensively. Cars produced by other British automakers, such as Morris, Hillman and Standard, were also adapted to militarized light trucks. These utility trucks were nicknamed “Tilly” by the
personnel who drove them. Tens of thousands of the Austin Tilly were produced during the war and served in many theaters of operation.Many continued to serve into the 1950s.
L’Arsenal, as part of its growing line of diorama accessories, has produced a set of resin Austin Tillys with 5 trucks included in each bag. They are well detailed little vehicles that require little clean up
other than removing them from the resin casting blocks. Such details the tire treads, wheel hubs, side vents, front grill and even the gas cap are represented. This is possible as the master was produced
using detailed CAD drawings and rapid-prototyping technology. There are numerous applications and diorama possibilities with these trucks – a dockyard or pier-side scene or trucks laden with supplies
driving to the Normandy beach head via the Mulberry Harbor pontoons– it is up to the modelers’ imagination.