|As warships grew in size and displacement, there was an ever increasing need to supplement dockside cranes for
heavy lifting. One option was the floating crane. The United States Navy built Floating Crane 33 in 1918 at the
Mare Island Navy Yard by Wellman, Seaver, Morgan Company. With an all steel hull, electrically powered and a lift
capacity of 150-tons, the floating crane was very capable for its mission. In 1920 it was redesignated YD33 for
Yard Barge non-selfpropelled. The barge had a long life and was not placed for disposal until January 1, 1975.
Navsource has some wonderful photographs of YD33, including the one above
(http://www.navsource.org/archives/14/26033.htm). Included in the photographic collection is a color photograph
from 1967 with the crane painted yellow.