|I was really interested in the Model Monkey parts designed to convert the HobbyBoss/Banner 1:350 scale Arizona into the Pacific Fleet flagship, USS
Pennsylvania, on December 7, 1941. There are a host of parts available allowing the build of the 1941 Pennsylvania but it was the superstructure that most intrigued
me. What you receive are four parts designed to replace the kit's plastic Arizona parts in order to build Husband Kimmel's pride, the Pennsylvania. The parts are
very clean and even have interior rooms. The photographs show the parts fitted together as well as separately. Model Monkey is different than most 3rd party parts
manufacturers. Steve Larsen of Model Monkey designs the parts but the actual production is done by Shapeways in Queens, New York. In essence, the parts are
cast to order. There are no stacks of parts boxes previously cast. Each order is handled one at a time, as they are ordered and then shipped from Shapeways to the
purchaser. As a consequence, when the parts arrive they are freshly cast. It is strongly recommended that before painting the parts that they be washed with Dawn
or other mild dishwashing fluid and then sun dried for a few hours for final curing. Since Shapeways uses a waxy substance in the production process, which will
undermine painting efforts unless cleaned. Also, use superglue as plastic cement won't work.
When I received the Pennsylvania parts I was so excited about using the new toys I had acquired in January, a new Paasche airbrush and new Iwata variable PSI
compressor to paint the Pennsylvania superstructure. In my rushed I did not wash or sun dry the parts first. I chose Lifecolor Dark Gray 5D as my paint of choice
as acrylic paints are recommended and mixed a 60% paint/ 40% Lifecolor thinner. My mixture was obviously too thin, as the paint puddled. I added more paint but
the spray coats were still too thin, so I brush painted the parts. I have kicked myself since then for not following the cleaning process before painting. After brush
painting the individual parts I again dry-fitted the parts together for photographs. I also used Micro Kristal Klear to glaze the windows.