|The Gabbiano class corvette was considered one of the most successful ships built by Italy during WW2. When Italy entered into the war, the Regia Marina recognized the need for reliable and well-armed anti-submarine
escorts. In the early 1930s, a 500-ton subchaser, Albatros, was built. Her steam propulsion plant was difficult to maintain and operate and her armament was soon deemed inadequate and obsolete. In the early 1940s,
General Leonardo Fea, of the Genio Navale, designed a class of 400-ton anti-submarine corvette. Between 1942 and 1943, an order for 60 of these Gabbiano class ships was placed with several Italian shipyards. The
ships were named after birds, animals, insects, edged weapons, firearms or mythological characters depending on which yard they were built. There were only very minor differences between the ships built at the
different yards, with the most obvious being the arrangement of the portholes.
The Gabbiano class was well-built and efficient. They had a single-funnel, long forecastle and a small superstructure, which gave them a handsome profile. They were well armed, with a single 3.9in/47 gun fitted
forward and up to seven 20mm/65 guns. They had potent anti-submarine armament, which comprised of eight single-barreled depth-charge mortars and two large and distinct “Gatteschi” multi-level depth charge racks at
the stern. Some ships had two single 17.7 inch torpedo tubes.