|The USCGC Taney - The Roger B. Taney was laid down on May 1, 1935 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. She was launched on June 3, 1936 and commissioned on October 24, 1936. She left Philadelphia
on December 19, 1936 for her new homeport of Honolulu, Hawaii, arriving on January 18, 1937, after transiting the Panama Canal. A few months later, her name was shortened to Taney. In the late 1930s,
the United States began a strategic expansion in to Pacific, annexing small islands and other territory in the vast ocean. The Taney played a role in the colonization of Canton and Enderbury Islands in the
Central Pacific, by bringing supplies and colonists to these isolated spots. With the help of Coast Guard crew, buildings were erected and the foundations for future signal towers were laid. Coast Guard
ships, including the Taney, performed supply runs to these way-stations and to relieve the colonists there at specified intervals. As tensions were increasing in the Pacific, the Coast Guard, along with the
Navy, began augmenting the armament of its ships. The Taney received her first major rearmament at Pearl Harbor in December 1940 and her last major pre-war refit at Mare Island in spring of 1941. On
July 25, 1941, the Coast Guard was transferred to the Navy and the Taney became part of the local defenses of the 14th Naval District, based at Honolulu. As part of this duty, she conducted regular
harbor and channel patrols along with a flush-deck destroyer. On December 7, 1941, Taney was moored along Pier 6 in Honolulu. Her crew manned her anti-aircraft guns but since there was no direct
attack on Honolulu, they only fired upon stray aircraft that came close enough with the strong possibility that she fired upon one or two U.S. planes in the process.
After the Pearl Harbor attack, Taney conducted depth-charge attacks on suspected Japanese subs and helped evacuate American colonists and supplies from some of the way-stations she helped establish,
shelling any structures left behind. She continued to operate out of Honolulu until late 1943, when she departed for Boston. Prior to heading for the East Coast, she went to Mare Island where she was fitted
with four single 5”/38 gun turrets, making her the only ship in her class to receive this modification. When she arrived on the East Coast, she began convoy escort duties to North African ports. After
completing three round-trip convoys, she sailed to Boston in October 1944 for conversion to an amphibious command ship, with accommodations for a flag officer and his staff and increased radar and
communication equipment. She also lost her 5”38 turrets and was now fitted with two open 5” mounts and additional 40mm and 20mm anti-aircraft guns. After a brief shakedown cruise, she sailed to
Hawaii via the Panama Canal and San Diego, arriving at Pearl Harbor on February 22, 1945. She was part of the large Allied fleet present at the Battle of Okinawa and subsequent occupation. During her
time there in April and May, the Taney went to general quarters 119 times and her crew at battle stations for up to nine consecutive hours. She was credited with downing four Kamikazes and assisting in
numerous kills. After the Japanese surrender, Taney took part in the occupation of Wakayama and departed there on October 14, 1945 for the United States, arriving at San Francisco on October 29. She
moved to Charleston, South Carolina for her conversion back to a patrol cutter, with a single 5” gun turret, a hedgehog, a twin 40mm mount, two 20mm guns and depth charge racks and projectors.
Post-war the Taney was based at Alameda, California until February 1972, where her primary duty was weather patrols. She had the honor of hosting French President Charles de Gaulle on his tour of San
Francisco Bay on April 27, 1960. From April 1969 to January 1970, Taney was ordered to Vietnam and joined Coast Guard Squadron Three supporting the Navy’s Operation Market Time. She conducted
patrols of the Vietnam coast, provided gunfire support and prevented enemy infiltrations along the coastal water routes. She also participated in humanitarian missions with her medical staff treating over
6,000 South Vietnamese villagers. For this, the Taney was awarded the Vietnamese Presidential Unit Citation by the South Vietnamese government. In 1972, Taney was home ported in Norfolk, Virginia and
the remainder of her career was spent on weather patrols, fisheries patrols, narcotics interdiction and search and rescue missions. She was formally decommissioned on December 7, 1986 and is currently
preserved as a museum in Baltimore, Maryland. The only other surviving Treasury class cutter is the Ingham, which is also preserved as a museum in Key West, Florida. To quote naval historian John M.
Waters, Jr., the Treasury class cutters were truly their nation's "maritime workhorses."