|The Landing Craft Personnel (Large) or LCP(L) was a landing craft used extensively in amphibious assaults during the Second World War. Their
primary purpose was to ferry troops from transports to beaches as part of an invasion. The craft was produced by Higgins Industries of New
Orleans, Louisiana and based on a prototype designed by the Higgins owned Eureka Tug-Boat Company. Initially manufacturing was done in boatyards
in the New Orleans area but as demand grew they were produced in other yards in the United States. These shallow draft boats were constructed
using pine planks and plywood with some armor plating. They were manned by a crew of three, comprised two gunners and the coxswain, and could
carry 36 infantry men to shore. To exit the boat once ashore, the soldiers would have to jump or climb down from the bow or sides.
The Landing Craft, Personnel (Ramped) or LCP(R) was an enhanced design, developed during 1941 by Andrew Higgins, which addressed the biggest
issue with the LCP(L), namely disembarking over the sides. The new design retained the dimensions and general layout of the LCP(L) but added a
bow ramp for easier and faster discharge of soldiers. The bow ramp concept came from the Japanese Daihatsu-class ramped landing craft.