This build of the USS Nimitz CVN-68 as of 1976 used the Trumpeter 1:350 scale kit and took me two years to complete with a total of 1,532.30 man hours
I wanted to portray the carrier in 1976 with Airwing 8 sporting Bicentennial markings. The hangar was built entirely from scratch using  20 thou plastic card ,
different gauges of  telephone wires for piping and trunking and small components from a spent PC motherboard for extra detailing. The hangar is lit up with it's
own circuit utilising 12volts DC strip LED's with a cordless diffuser system. The island had to be altered considerably ...removal of sponson starboard side ,
scratch-built, sector antennas fashioned out of toothpick ends...various whip aerials ...extra details on main mast, extra search lights and opening of most of the
service doors. The island was sanded clean and all trunking and piping was added ,again using different gauges of copper wire and plastic strips. The island is lit up
with it's own circuit utilizing tiny 12 volts DC bulbs with green silicone sleeves for effect .

The stern  internal housing was completely rebuilt for more accuracy, again most of it is scratch-built. The hull was sanded clean. Piping and trunking were added
on using various gauges of copper wire , telephone wire and soldering lead wire.  All ventilation grids were hollowed out , reshaped, repositioned  and more added ,
then replaced with perforated brass sheeting...some were also blocked off as they were non existent on the vessel.  All the service openings,ie..boat decks, fuelling
decks etc were removed  because they all looked like little ratholes and rebuilt from scratch , detailed The ones on the port side were relocated to a correct position
and lit up using 12 volt DC bulbs with another circuit of their own. The crane deck was rebuilt. All catwalks were removed and added on photo-etched catwalks,
which were again detailed further, adding on access cubicles, side piping and trunking, ordnance escape chutes, access ladders ...etc. Handrails and side fences
were attached, in the correct positions. Extensive further detail was added to the elevators' girder work.
Sparrow launchers were reshaped and a new base structure was scratch-built for them. Those provided with the kit were late 1980's versions and incorrect. The
hull whip antennas and their supports were scratch-built, with correct positioning. The top deck was all put together, airbrushed, and weathered heavily in some
parts. The decals were a nightmare, disintegrating once put in water. So all markings were airbrushed. Markings were also missing from the decal sheet, so I had to
add them on. Once finished I attached the whole deck in one piece to the already finished hull, making sure there was a perfect alignment...no mean task. The
seascape was sculpted from paper mache and painted with common household paint.

The Airwing was a breath of fresh air, with added on drop tanks, sidewinders and repositioned control surfaces, all scratch-built. I even opened some canopies
with aircrew inside the cockpits. Hi Viz decals came from  
Starfighter Decals and Yankee Modelworks . I used both Trumpeter and Tamiya aircraft. For the
deck Equipment, I used all the gear provided with the kit plus a couple of sets from
Iron Shipwright Models, which were also further detailed . The trolleys, oil
drums, service platforms, tow bars, ground power units, oxygen trailers etc were all scratch-built using plastic sheeting and miscellaneous parts from the
photo-etch scraps box.
The deck crew and uniformed personnel are a mixture of L'Arsenal., Northstar and Goffy with at least 300 to 400 figures in all. The model was airbrushed  in
enamels as a base colour. Highlights and lowlights were airbrushed using acrylics. I used artist oils to weather the ship and Ammo products to give the vessel a
worn look.  I used
Gold Medal Models photo-etch to detail the ship

Reference:
Nimitz Class Aircraft Carriers by Brad Elward; Various articles from US Navy sites from the Web. Last but not least, I must thank  my good friend, Mr
James Guard
from the US, for his invaluable assistance to complete this model correctly.
Louis Carabbott
Malta
_____________________________________________